Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spinach Rice


2012 seems to be a bad start for me.. an accident.. thn dealing with a crazy doc and now a skin allergy.. hope my quota of falling sick in 2012 gets over in this month itself .. fingers crossed.. Now with this state I just don feel like cooking.. and thus, try making a singular dish that would suffice a meal :) ... not that I aint lazy but this is truely out of compulsion (believe me ;)) ..

I had had this dish at a frendz sometime ago and so wanted to replicate it.. SPINACH RICE .. and I think I did a good job.. Arunesh & I ate it up all... and loved it !!



Ingredients 
Rice - 2 cups
Spinach - 1 bunch (blanched)
Onions - 2 (finely chopped)
Green Chili - 3 (you could reduce the chili as per taste)
Bay Leaf - 1
Black Peppercorn - 2
Cloves - 2-3
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Salt
Water
Oil - 2 Tablespoons
Lemon Juice - 2 teaspoons

Cooking
Wash rice, drain water & keep aside.

Grind blanched Spinach & Chili together into a fine paste.

Heat oil in a cooker. Add Bay Leaf, Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Cloves & Peppercorns.

As Mustard Seeds start to crackle, add Onions & fry for about 5 mins. Next, add the Spinach-Chili paste & cook for 2 mins.

Finally add the Rice, Salt & 4 cups of water.

Cover the cooker & cook till 2 wistles.

Spinach Rice are ready.. Incase you find the rice still watery, cook uncovered for about 2-3 mins to dry the excess water.

Squeeze some Lemon Juice and serve hot.


Sending this entry to Nupur's New Year, New Dish event.

4 comments:

  1. Healthy and super flavourful rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy and nice one pot meal !!

    Ongoing Event - CC-Chocolate Fest

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy and healthy spinach rice..looks so colorful..loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this simple and healthy recipe. Sorry about all the sickness, I am sure it will get over soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete